70-291 Exam Study Guide and Syllabus
There are two Windows 2003 Server exams, this one, 70-291, is called:
Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003
In one word the 291 exam is about - Networking.
Change of Exam Format
As I mentioned before, Microsoft do change the format from time to time, this is my latest information.
Microsoft introduced simulations technology in its MCP exams in March 31 2005, beginning with Exam 70-290 and
Exam 70-291. Individuals will be able to demonstrate their capability of solving real-world problems by performing tasks in
simulated environments. Please check with your local exam delivery provider, Pearson VUE or Thomson Prometric, for availability. In June 2005, Microsoft released simulation-based versions of
Exams 70-293 and 70-294.
Server 2008 Enterprise Admin
Train Signal have an excellent Windows Server 2008 course. You get over 70
hrs instruction with Ed Liberman and Ben "Coach" Culbertson. Try their
step-by-step videos and master Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Admin.
The package includes the Transcender exams, which are the key to gaining the
coverted Microsoft Certified IT Professional certification. However, the
course also builds practical experience so that you can manage your network
effectively once you complete the course.
Watch a Demo of Train Signal's MCITP course
Official Exam Syllabus for 70-291
In my opinion the Official Exam Syllabus is rather like an exam board setting
out their stall, decreeing what students should learn. The exam questions
setters then 'do their own thing' and turn the syllabus into actual questions.
My point it two fold, firstly, you might not be tested on every bullet point.
Secondly, you may get an exam where one area is tested heavily. It is a
feature of adaptive exams that they are designed to pick on your Achilles' heel.
Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining IP Addressing
Configure TCP/IP addressing on a server computer.
- Manage DHCP clients and leases.
- Manage DHCP Relay Agent.
- Manage DHCP databases.
- Manage DHCP scope options.
- Manage reservations and reserved clients.
Troubleshoot TCP/IP addressing.
- Diagnose and resolve issues related to Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA).
- Diagnose and resolve issues related to incorrect TCP/IP configuration.
- Diagnose and resolve issues related to DHCP authorization.
- Verify DHCP reservation configuration.
- Examine the system event log and DHCP server audit log files to find
- Diagnose and resolve issues related to configuration of DHCP server and
- Verify that the DHCP Relay Agent is working correctly.
- Verify database integrity.
Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining Name Resolution
Install and configure the DNS Server service.
- Configure DNS server options.
- Configure DNS zone options.
- Configure DNS forwarding.
- Manage DNS zone settings.
- Manage DNS record settings.
- Manage DNS server options.
Monitor DNS. Tools might include System Monitor, Event Viewer, Replication
Monitor, and DNS debug logs.
DNS is a huge topic, as an MCT trainer, I can thoroughly recommend
because they provide practical hands on training. In particular, I like the way TrainSignal cover all learning methods, instructor lead, video and of course text material. You can either take one module, for example DNS or go for
a combination of modules.
Windows Server 2008 MCITP Server Administrator Package
Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining Network Security
Implement secure network administration procedures.
- Implement security baseline settings and audit security settings by using
- Implement the principle of least privilege.
Monitor network protocol security. Tools might include the IP Security
Monitor Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in and Kerberos support tools.
Troubleshoot network protocol security. Tools might include the IP Security
Monitor MMC snap-in, Event Viewer, and Network Monitor.
Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining Routing and Remote
Configure Routing and Remote Access user authentication.
- Configure remote access authentication protocols.
- Configure Internet Authentication Service (IAS) to provide authentication
for Routing and Remote Access clients.
- Configure Routing and Remote Access policies to permit or deny access.
Manage remote access.
- Manage packet filters.
- Manage Routing and Remote Access routing interfaces.
- Manage devices and ports.
- Manage routing protocols.
- Manage Routing and Remote Access clients.
Manage TCP/IP routing.
- Manage routing protocols.
- Manage routing tables.
- Manage routing ports.
Implement secure access between private networks.
Troubleshoot user access to remote access services.
- Diagnose and resolve issues related to remote access VPNs.
- Diagnose and resolve issues related to establishing a remote access
- Diagnose and resolve user access to resources beyond the remote access
Troubleshoot Routing and Remote Access routing.
- Troubleshoot demand-dial routing.
- Troubleshoot router-to-router VPNs.
Maintaining a Network Infrastructure
Monitor network traffic. Tools might include Network Monitor and System
Troubleshoot connectivity to the Internet.
Troubleshoot server services.
- Diagnose and resolve issues related to service dependency.
- Use service recovery options to diagnose and resolve service-related
Network security is complex. As an MCT trainer, I can thoroughly recommend
TrainSignal because they
provide practical hands on training. In particular, I like the way TrainSignal cover all learning methods, instructor lead, video and of course text material. You can either take one module, for example
Network Security or go for
a combination of modules.
See more about Network Security training here